Monday 12 March 2012

WTF NEWS - Designer makes shoes from horses' hooves



A German designer has created a bizarre new range of shoes - from dead animal parts.
Iris Schieferstein, 45, spends months creating high heel horse hooves, stilettos from snake skins and sandals sculpted from doves.
Ms Schieferstein, who designed a pair of horse hooves for Lady Gaga, sells the shoes for up to £3,900.
She collects the dead animals from her local butcher in Berlin, then spends a week stripping out the meat and bones from the animal's feet before the skin is sent to a tanner to be preserved.
The sculptor then sets the skin - complete with fur still in place - around a shoe model before doing any needlework to add insoles and lining.
She said: "I love horses and I love shoes so I thought this would be perfect. Horses have a beautiful walk and I wanted to recreate that with my footwear.
"Creating the shoes is ugly work, taking the meat out is not nice, like any taxidermy. When I began working with dead animals I would pick them up from the street.
"But they are protected by the government in Germany, and so after ten years they tried to put me in prison. Now I use my butcher.
"Once the shoes are made I wear them to make sure they work, although they would not be suitable to wear around the house."

No comments:

Post a Comment